Regularly Scheduled Meetings
The objectives of this Flight shall be to further the objectives of the Order of Daedalians as set forth in official publications of the National Order and to foster good fellowship among military aviators through membership and participation in Flight activities.
Major General Cornelius Nugteren was commander of the Warner Robins Air Logistics Center, Robins Air Force Base, Georgia, from 1982 to 1988. He retired here, and was a driving force behind the creation of the Mercer University school of engineering and the Robins AFB Museum of Aviation. He was a command pilot with more than 4,000 flying hours.
General Nugteren was born in 1928 in Colton, S.D., and completed high school in Marion, S.D. He received a bachelor of arts degree in education from Central College, Pella, Iowa, in 1951.
He enlisted in the Air Force in January 1952 and received his commission as a second lieutenant in March 1953 through the aviation cadet program. The general was awarded his pilot wings after completing advanced flying training at Williams Air Force Base, Ariz. In September 1953 he was assigned to the 36th Tactical Fighter Wing, Bitburg Air Base, West Germany, where he flew F-86s and F-100s. General Nugteren returned to the United States in December 1956 and served with the 4th Tactical Fighter Wing at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C., as wing quality control officer. While there he flew F- 86H’s and F-100s. In June 1958 he transferred to the Air Force Academy as a flight test and maintenance officer.
In August 1960 he was assigned to the 49th Tactical Fighter Wing at Spangdahlem Air Base, West Germany, as organization maintenance officer and as chief of field maintenance. In August 1964 he returned to the United States and was assigned to Headquarters 12th Air Force at Waco, Texas, as a special project officer with the F-105 program. In May 1966 he transferred to McChord Air Force Base, Wash., as a C-141 pilot and flight test officer.
From March 1968 to October 1970 General Nugteren was assigned to Headquarters Military Airlift Command at Scott Air Force Base, Ill., where he served as an aircraft maintenance inspector and then as chief of the Materiel Branch, Inspection Division, Office of the Inspector General. He then joined the U.S. Air Force Advisory Group in the Republic of Vietnam as senior aircraft maintenance and materiel adviser.
He became deputy commander of maintenance for the 50th Tactical Fighter Wing at Hahn Air Base, West Germany, in November 1971. In February 1974 he became wing commander of the 322nd Tactical Airlift Wing, Rhein-Main Air Base, Germany. In August 1975 General Nugteren transferred to Ramstein Air Base, West Germany, as commander of the 86th Tactical Fighter Wing and served as the Air Force’s first Kaiserslautern Area Community commander. In July 1977 he become vice commander of the Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill Air Force Base, Utah. During this assignment he was awarded the Missile Badge.
Returning to Scott Air Force Base in September 1979, General Nugteren took command of the Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Service. In this capacity he was responsible for worldwide search and rescue missions, the National Rescue Coordination Center, worldwide weather reconnaissance and Strategic Air Command missile site support.
In September 1981 the general was assigned as chief of the Joint U.S. Military Advisory Group in Greece. While there he served as the representative of the secretary of defense and the commander in chief, U.S. European Command, in the discharge of his assigned security assistance responsibilities. He also served as contact officer in Greece for the commander in chief, U.S. European Command, as the senior U.S. military representative in Greece and as a member of the U.S. Country Team. He assumed his present command in September 1982. He was inducted into the Air Force Logistics Command Order of the Sword by the enlisted men and women of the Warner Robins Air Logistics Center in May 1985. In September 1986 he was presented the Air Force Association Ira Eaker Fellow award. Several weeks before General Nugteren’s death, Hangar One at the Robins AFB Museum of Aviation was renamed the Nugteren Exhibit Hangar in his honor.
General Nugteren is survived by his wife, Liane Albrecht Nugteren, two daughters and three grandchildren.